To set up your domain name go to https://hetzner.co.za/domains/
You can use the domain name search function to check if your desired name is already being used. When you have found your desired site name you will be required to sign up.
After you have signed up choose a hosting package. Log into KonsoleH, create a new database and save the database name and password as we will need them for the WordPress installation.
Now we can install WordPress
Make sure FileZilla is installed on your machine if not here is the link https://filezilla-project.org/download.php
- Open FileZilla, put in your host name which will be what you set in Hetzner along with your username and password.
- Once you have been connected to the remote site copy WordPress into your public_html folder.
- Rename the folder to what your site url will be, please note to keep it all in lower case and do not put any spaces an example is: mysite, after that is completed open your site folder and right click on the wp-config-sample.php document and select view/edit
- Here is where you will connect to your Hetzner database so that your site will run
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define(‘DB_NAME’, ‘database_name_here‘); you will change to your database name
/** MySQL database username */
define(‘DB_USER’, ‘username_here‘); the username given to you when you created your database
/** MySQL database password */
define(‘DB_PASSWORD’, ‘password_here‘); the password given to you when you created your database
/** MySQL hostname */
define(‘DB_HOST’, ‘localhost‘); change localhost to the name of your hosting site, In Hetzner it is given to you when you created your database
- Now log into your website by putting in your domain name and you will be taken to a WordPress setup window
- Enter your site title, this is the name your website will be called and what people see when they open your website
- The username and password will be for you to be able to log into your site and make changes to it
- The email is for password recovery
- Now you can install WordPress
Log in with the username and password that you just set up and you will be taken to your sites dashboard. From here you can add content and customise your new website.
- Posts: this is what makes up the blog aspect of your site. These are generally news or informational updates about a certain topic or talking point
- Media: used to manage user uploads such as images, video, audio or other documents
- Pages: this is what makes your web pages, here you construct the structure of your site
- Comments: this stores all the comments users have made on your site
- Appearance: this is where you change your websites theme to change the look of your site
- Plugins: this is to put additional functionality to your site over and above what the site can already do
- Users: this is where you set permissions for users to perform tasks, such as can they create posts on your site or have administrative access which they can change everything
- Tools: used to perform non-routine management tasks